Friday, March 14, 2008

A FANS APPRECIATION....

This weekend will be special as Dale Jarrett says goodbye to the Sprint Cup competition. Although he has one race remaining (The All-Star race in May), this will be it for point races. As a long-time fan, I'm somewhat torn over this race...I jumped off the bandwagon when he left Yates two years ago and joined the Junior nation, but kept an eye out for old #88/44. Jarrett has never recovered from breaking up with Todd Parrott as his crew chief and had become a backmarker rarely in the top 20. His last win in 05 came with Todd back on board...
I remember watching him win at Pocono in August of 1997, and him crashing on lap 8 at Dover. I wore alot of UPS gear, folks wondered if I worked for them, not realizing it was a race sponsor/driver's jacket (I got the same responses this week as I pulled my old brown UPS jakcet from 2003 with the Winston Cup logo on it for old time sake).
If there is one thing he will always be remembered for, it's the Daytona 500 win in 1993 with his dad calling him to victory. I dare you to watch it and not cry if you are a father. His car owner in that race - Joe Gibbs.
Now, Dale joins the ESPN booth, just like his dad...so long , Dale - thanks for the ride.

No comments: