Sunday, February 17, 2008

DAYTONA ARRIVES!!!!!!

I'm standing in a checkout line theother night and a mother says to her daughter "No more football, what are we going to do", and of course, I chime in "NASCAR". This is Christmas in February for racing fans....and for fans of the 42 drivers who don't win, a let down.

An interesting couple of days with the Duels, the Truck race Friday and the Nationwide race yesterday. Thursday's duels found Junior taking another win in his 88 mobile, and Denny Hamlin winning the nightcap. The biggest surprise was Dale Jarrett actually making the race. The former champ has had nothing but bad luck since joining the Toyota camp last year, and is making a abbreviated retirement tour before moving into the ESPN booth full time.

The Truck race Friday was another thriller with the 'Bald Headed Cue Ball' (my nickname for him) Todd Bodine winning. I enjoy watching the trucks even though I have no idea who half the drivers are. Same with the Nationwide series....Tony Stewart may be the latest driver to pull off the double - Harvick did it last year and Junior in 2004.

Today - tire issues might determine who wins - expect lots of stops for tires and the big one might be triggered by a tire failure. The new car seems more tougher to drive and that will make for some interesting action. I'm in a NASCAR fantasy league and we pick a driver a race and only use them once a season - I'm picking Smoke because he owes me - I picked him last year and got my season off to a 43rd place finish. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Junior won....as my ex said yesterday - anybody but Gordon. My buddy who's a die hard Gordon fan is coming over today and it seems like every race he's here for - #24 wins. This has got to stop!

No comments: